- I've written a guest post on Mywargame reviewing the really nice Mizuchi miniature I got recently. I'll blog the finished job soon as he's all but finished now (assuming the varnish I just applied doesn't ruin it).
- Played a game of Warhammer Fantasy, Tomb Kings vs. my Vampires. Ended up a fairly convincing win even though my general fell to the curse of the Tomb Prince. Luck was very much with me at several key points and I still made several "I should know better" mistakes, so all in all a fun game (thanks Rob) with some good take homes.
So back to the scenery...
I've been casting up extra blocks on and off for months and having ideas about making a big fortification of some kind. I've looked through the planet strike rules and fancied having a go at some point so this was partly driving me, but I'd also been given a nice big Imperial double door by my brother that I wanted to stick on to something.
A few weeks ago I decided I would see if I could build something in a week, just in time for a scenario game I was hosting for some friends. You can have a look at the scenario here if you wish.
The idea was that this bigger fortification should be usable on its own, but also look in keeping with the bunkers I'd already made, so a line of fortifications could be put together that looked quite nice. With this in mind I used the design of the bunkers as the template to construct a much larger building, with 2 floors.
There's a few challenges with a building of this size made of plaster of paris that's going to be used for gaming rather than just display.
- It needs to be strong enough to support its own weight plus that of miniatures.
- It needs to have access points for miniatures to enter/exit the structure and also ideally to see out from for line of sight while shooting.
- It needs to be of a size that I can store it safely somewhere.
So here's what I did:
|This is the ground floor. It's pretty large, each of those tiles holds a 40k miniature easily.|
|The 1st floor, the centre section is mostly enclosed, the sides sheltered and the front exposed.|
|The roof! I ran out of tiles at this point so it was brownie blocks to the rescue!|
|Front view with all levels assembled|
|Rear view and a sneaky sandbag lizard|
|Side view, gives an idea of how the front is offset|
|The finished product - not 100% on the base but there's so many other things to paint|
|The bastion laid out with my walls and bunkers. Looks ok to me, need more walls!|